Thursday 22 September 2011

Let's Get Started!

Hello Thursday!

We have spent a bit of time together and I think it is time to discuss the cornerstone to any project:  goals.  After all, I have described this blog as a place where women can get support for their goals.  So what are your goals?

I have always been very goal-orientated. . . . almost to a fault.  If I didn't have a goal, I felt I wasn't moving forward.  In some ways that is true but I would also beat myself up for not achieving a goal.  I recently read an article about struggle and the benefits of failure.  It was called "Forged by Adversity" by Guy Edson (ASCA).  Most of us resist setting goals for fear of failing.  Anyone I know that I would consider "successful", tells me that they learned more from their failures than their successes.  It was when they fell short of their goals that they were propelled further in pursuit of excellence.

A few rules:  Goals need to be

1.  stated in the present tense and positive
2.  attainable
3.  measurable
4.  celebrated when achieved!

Number 4 is critical to the process.  I am notorious for doing 1, 2 and 3 but not 4.  I just move forward on to the next goal.  One goal I am working on right now is completing a dry land program that I found in a swimming magazine.  It is bloody hard and has 55 different exercises.  I am up to 48 and slowly adding a few each week.  After 4 weeks, I finally feel a little less beat up today!!  I will let you know when I get to #55 and I commit to some sort of celebration :)

Whatever you choose, big or small, if doesn't matter.  Just pick something!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did."
                       -Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment