Monday 19 September 2011

Getting the most out of your workout

Happy Monday,

I love the beginning of the week because it is an opportunity to renew and recharge my training.  I had this great swim/run coach many years ago that always said "Have a theme to every workout."  Whether it be tempo, race prep, easy, choice, speed or endurance.  It doesn't matter but pick something!  There has been tons of research about purposeful practice (also called the 10,000 hour rule).

Check out:

Outliers by Martin Gladwell
Bounce: The myth of talent and the power of practice by Mathew Syed

It is the idea that you get the most out of your training by being purposeful.  In other words, have a purpose!!

I am the worst for too much chat when I do any kind of group training.  I suppose that it helps to make the time pass faster but it is also important to be focused.  I used to think that some athletes were to serious then I realized, they are focused and completely engrossed in their activity (of course, there are athletes that are too serious!).

This morning in the lanes we did 6 X 75 pull with a specific breathing pattern.  It was great to focus on counting the breathing and being present in the action of swimming.  In an earlier blog, I mentioned that most of my own development (be it personal or professional) has been manifested through sport.  How can I apply purposeful practice to my daily activities?  What would it be like to really focus on an activity?  Can I take the sensation of counting my breaths into the rest of my day?  I am willing to find out. . . .If you see me in the grocery store, I will be focused on choosing the best produce for my family (ok maybe a bit overboard)!  I know I can do better than constantly checking my email in the latte line.

Enjoy the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment