Tuesday 8 May 2012

Four Word Life Path

Happy Tuesday,

I can hear the deafening screams, "Where have you been!!!!"  

As a friendly reminder, I promised myself to only write when I really had something to say.  I have been listening and researching 'blog culture' and there are well defined camps divided by the main issue 'Is what you write about pertinent/interesting/relevant/etc?'  This only reinforced my commitment to only write and post when it felt right.  That was my attempt to apologize for not posting recently:)

I have been in questioning mode over the past few weeks.  It strikes me in spring as the invariable inquiries from friends and training buddies start popping up, "Hey Norma, are you racing this year?"  I usually skirt the conversation and never really give a straight answer as if I am not even thinking about it.  

The truth is. . . . it is ALL I am thinking about!!!!  Well until I heard a fantastic interview with another sister (or should I say sistah!).  Gail Simmons was on CBC radio speaking on the morning show Q about her new entry on her CV as host of Top Chef Just Desserts.  This is not a foodie blog so I will cut the important part of the interview (the entire podcast is definitely worth a listen: Gail Simmons on Q).  She shared a story about how she got to be a TV host and food taster which to most of us is the dream job.  Gail was visiting her mom and one of her mom's friends right after she finished university.  While trying to answer the age-old question, "What do I want to be when I grow up?" her mother's friend offered some advice:  think of four things that you love to do.  Simple, right?  With no attachment to order or job prospects she slapped down:  eat, write, travel, cook.  And then she shared how she was doing exactly that.  

How is this related to "my race season"?  When I heard her four words, I knew what mine were and I also realized that we all have four words and they create a path for our lives and our careers.  If you had no attachment to what is logical or what will bring home the bacon.  What are the words that excite your soul?  The four things that would complete you and keep you engaged and enthused about your life?  

What are THOSE words?

Mine came to me in a flash and I realized that although racing has been and may still be a vital part of my life, it is actually the training that I love.  The feeling of accomplishment after a tough set; the satisfying latte after my hard ride.  These are the threads that make up the fabric of my life. So my answer to the question about my race season:

train...write...inspire...travel

Find your words :)


No comments:

Post a Comment