Tuesday 24 April 2012

Trail Etiquette

Happy Tuesday Readers!

I was lucky enough to get outside yesterday for a ride.  I know you are thinking I am a bit timid to have waited so long but I was following sage advice from a fellow TriDiva who "never rides until I see double digits on the thermometer."  Don't get me wrong. . . .I have been working hard indoors all winter:  intervals or hills once a week, spin ladders, one leg drills and fun littles bricks in my basement (otherwise known as the bunker).  Outdoor spring training is always a marvel.  I am, at heart, a people watcher so when given the opportunity to observe behaviour, I am, as they say, ALL IN.

The trails are full of a mishmash of experience and fitness levels during early season training and as such, this is a perfect time to revisit some rules of the road as we all hit the trails this spring.

Work your most important muscle group:  

This is, of course, your patience muscle!!!  Whether you are running, riding, roller blading or strolling, be kind to the other outdoor enthusiasts.  The trails are there to share, after all.


"On your left" 


Try to use friendly language to inform someone that you are overtaking them.  As in downhill skiing, precedence is given to the slower mover.  Most riders have a bell with a jovial ring that lets runners and walkers know that they are passing.  When I get passed by a bike that used a bell, I like to acknowledge the fact by thanking them.  Being pleasant on the trails helps avoid those horrible letters to the editor complaining about cyclists and/or runners.

iPods, ear buds and other 'evils'  


The jury is definitely still out on this one (feel free to weigh in on the topic by posting below).  Should one be plugged into mp3s or smart phones?  I have to admit that I used to be quite self-righteous on the subject.  "I NEVER ride/run with music", I would brag to anyone that would listen, "You can't use one in a race so I say NO!"  Wow, I can actually hear my voice!  I tried my iPod about a year ago and I couldn't believe how well I was able to still be aware of my surroundings.  It all comes down to safety.  If you play your music (or whatever) so loud that you can't hear an approaching car or that friendly bell then you are putting yourself and others in danger.  It is no different from the pedestrian that is clueless to traffic because they are on the phone or posting to twitter.  The bottom line is BE AWARE.

Single-File or Pack Mentality  


This is similar to the previous paragraph but different enough to warrant its own title (playing havoc with my english teacher friends!!).  When out with buddies, it is can be tempting to ride in tandem or in a pack so you can visit (or just look cool if you have matching jerseys - Go DIVAS!) but be sure that the road or trail is big enough to accommodate this formation.  Be sure you are communicating to your pack mates so they are also aware of what is coming up.

The most important thing is to get out there!!!  Enjoy the runs and rides that come from the all too short summer months.

Be Kind and Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment