Thursday 24 May 2012

On our rides, finally

May 19, 2012

I have to say that I am spoiled to travel any other way than on my bike. It doesn't hurt that our guides make arrangements for the transport of our luggage right to our room.   The first day of group travel can be a bit stressful as we don't know each that well and like all good reality tv competitors, we want to  establish ourselves in an appropriate role.  One of my diva buddies made me promise to not over function during the trip. I had shared with her that since I had help bring this motley crew together, I felt responsible for everything from the food to the weather.  None of which I can control.  We left Avignon by van to rendez-vous (see how I am integrating French vocabulary!) with our bikes and our other guide.   As a group, I think I can safely describe us as heterogenous with cycling ability ranging from a daily bike commuter with century rides sprinkled in on weekend to one guy who is a self- proclaimed non-trainer and purposely did not prepare himself for the riding in an effort to prove all of us 'anal athletes' wrong.   We also requested a variety of bikes. I, of course, opted for a road bike and brought my own pedals.  As much as I love my own ride, the thought of schlepping it through airports and train stations was not appealing.  On the other hand, using  my own bike shoes and pedals gave me an instant comfort on my stead. At the other end of the spectrum were people who choose hybrids for the more comfortable upright feeling. We rode a lovely 20 km to lunch and then carried on.  It should be noted that it takes a special kind of discipline to get back on your bike after a few glasses of wine.  I am thankful to my system that quickly metabolizes the alcohol !!! The afternoon was beautiful with rolling terrain and some amazing vistas of classic Provence valleys.  We arrived at our hotel in Grignan, a quaint inn with colored themed rooms and antiques dating back 300 years, after a solid 40 km.  As it is the weekend, our guides decided,  last minute, to stay in and eat at the hotel so during our welcome reception, we were informed that we would have to eat "in the kitchen".  The table was set with pretty chantilly cutlery and china and adorned with rose petals. It didn't look like my kitchen.  Private formal service ensued and a great meal and conversation was had by all. 

So far, nobody will be voted off the island, but the week has just begun :)

train.write.inspire.travel

No comments:

Post a Comment