Thursday 24 May 2012

Four letter Cycling Words

May 20, 2012


Day 2


WIND

Our group felt great satisfaction at the end of the trek today as we experienced one of evils of cycling: the wind. It is the one weather condition that demoralizes me because I know that I am working for nothing. I am flipping my pedals around as if I am climbing a 9% grade and yet the terrain actually flat.   Wind is unyielding and unforgiving. 

It reminds me of Aesop's fable in which The Sun and the Wind compete to see who can get the traveller to remove his jacket.  The moral being "Gentle persuasion is stronger than force."  This can guide us in determining the best way to ride in the wind.  

Your optimum course of action is not to fight it. You will not win. Choose an easy gear and spin as if you were climbing.  Even in a crosswind, you will have better control over your bike if you spin at a high cadence.  By doing this you will minimize the lactic acid production in your legs and you will be ready to go for it when (or if) the wind eases.

Ok!! Enough advice!

 So, how was the group?  I guess it can be summed up by the numbers:

Km rode:  54
Daily espresso: 6  Yes readers that is just my consumption!
Dinner courses: 5 (including a top 5 lifetime dessert for me)
Total riding time (hrs): 4
Flat tires: 2 (myself and one other guy)
Bottles of wine at dinner: 2
Riders voted off:

I guess the wind did not prevail in our french fable either. 

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment