Wednesday 14 March 2012

Jargon - Part Deux

Happy Wednesday Readers,

Since the last time I shared some 'cool' tri-terms, I have been madly collecting other multi-sport words.  As a side note, readers are welcome to send in suggestions for the next round of vocabulary.  It has taken me some time to return to this topic because I was waiting to be inspired by a theme so that I can present a cohesive, high-school-english-teacher pleasing essay.  Then I realized I am random abstract in my writing style. . . .none of my posts have been logical up to this point so why start now!!!

It is starting to feel like spring this week so the following triathlon jargon may help you as we prepare to go outside for training and racing (ahem - northern hemisphere!).

Sighting - This refers to a technique used in open water swimming and is an important skill if you don't want to swim farther than necessary (never good).  Most courses are set up in one of two ways:  Out and Back Here you will swim to a buoy, go around and come back.  Triangular/Polygonal I made up this term (my inner math nerd coming out). . . .A swim course is set up with buoys forming a triangle or a square (maybe a hexagon).  In order to sight properly, you need to look up periodically to make sure you are swimming straight.  We become dependant on the black stripe when we swim in a pool so we need to practise two things before race day.  The first thing is to actually swim in a lake (go figure!) to get over any apprehension you have.  The other important skill is lifting your head during your swim stroke in the easiest and most efficient way.  At your next swim session, try it during the warm up.  Check out this video from Dave Scott for his tips on open water swimming (Tips for Open Water).
These guys are 6 feet tall!

One thing he doesn't mention is how big the buoys are.  This was a complete shock to me the first time I did open water.  What I learned is not to aim myself directly at the buoy but slightly to the side (depending on whether the turn is left or right).






Wave Start and/or Mass Start - This also refers to open water swimming.  Depending on the size of the race, the organizers may use a mass start (everyone together) or a wave start where the competitors are divided into heats.  I think it was the moment I first saw a mass start that I decided to do a triathlon.  It was incredibly inspiring and terrifying all at once (much like child birth!).  If you know that you may freak out during the start, hang back!  You don't have to go with the race leaders.  You can let the crowd thin out a bit and allow yourself some space to get in.  Some races have a 'reticent racer' swim cap so that the guys out on the lake can keep a watchful eye on you.  In races with wave start, double check the athlete information package so you know what time you start.  This will, obviously, affect your warm-up and the timing of your visit to the port-o-pottie line (actually being serious).

Clipless Pedals - Ok confession time. . . .I honestly did not know what these were until several seasons of racing (I won't say how many as it is just too embarrassing).  The main reason I had no idea what they were is because the term does not accurately describe what they are (as a I teacher, this always frustrated me!).  In my mind clipless means "no clip".  Check the photo.  Seems to me that that bit attached to the bracket IS A CLIP!  Needless to say, once you get clipped (that's what I like to call them) in pedals, you know you have arrived in the 'real' cycling community.  A word of warning. . . . YOU MUST PRACTISE clipping in and out.  Your training buddies will thank you and will be happy to ride with you if you are skilled in this area.  Find a nice grassy area to clip in and out.  I suggest grassy because you will fall and it will make for a gentler landing :)

Wow!  I clearly had a lot to say on these topics!  I welcome your comments and any personal tips you have on this post or earlier ones.

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment