Wednesday 7 March 2012

International Day of the Sisters

Hello Divas,

Instead of waiting for tomorrow to comment on International Women's Day, I thought I would jump in now.

Just the other day, someone in my swim group asks if I had anything sisters and honestly, my first thought was, "Of course, I have sistahs!!!".  I have been blessed with some amazing kick -a#& ladies who I consider my sisters.  I actually don't have any sisters in my family of origin but I have spent my life collecting them :)

It probably started back when I joined a soccer team (the first girls' team in my area - EVER).  We didn't know the game and neither did our parents but on some level, we wanted to be fit (or maybe, fit in).  We felt a connection to each other as we pushed the boundaries of what was acceptable for girls in sport.  At the time, our choices were figure skating or baseball.  I tried both for about 10 minutes:  I quit the former the moment I landed on my butt and left black and blue;  I quit the latter when I wasn't allowed to run the entire time (apparently, I like to run).  Soccer was it and remained it for 15+ years.  I loved the team aspect, the mutual suffering at practise and the bliss when we won.  I forged my first group of sistahs and have been hooked ever since.

I recently had supper with two of my former teammates with our partners.  We easily fell back into conversation even though we hadn't seen each other for years.  We shared the successes of our kids and I was struck by how important sport was in the lives of our children.  A powerful legacy!

I suppose this attachment to women in sport started in my neighbourhood and still persists today.  Women's ability to remain feminine and still be scary fast is to be admired.  We enjoy surprising people!  Last night, at yoga, a lady approached me asked if I did triathlon.  I answered, "I dabble".  She shared that she had always wanted to do one but doesn't run.  My suggestion was to find a runner and do one as a team.  Her face lit up.  Women have the great capacity to encourage, accept and cheerlead others.  We need to celebrate our women-ness (probably not a word).

I challenge you to get out there tomorrow.  Acknowledge those amazing women around you!  Check out the website (International Women's Day) and find an event or get involve in the twitter feed (@womensday).

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment