Thursday 26 January 2012

Paula Findlay - A True Canadian Success Story

In researching this triathlete, I struggled with which headline to use, which newspaper clipping, which image from the world wide web.  This gal certainly gets a lot of press!  I would never want to downplay Paula's accomplishments but I can't help remembering her as an age group swimmer when she was in the lanes with my kid.  Who knew she would go on to be in medal contention for the games in London this summer?  Well, I soon found out interviewing Paula that she knew. . . .

I first met Paula on deck at a swim meet many years ago as I worked along side her mother, Sheila.  I was struck by the tight family unit Sheila has been able to create and it certainly explains why Paula is so grounded.  Paula has a sister and brother who are consistently on the race course somewhere cheering on their older sibling.





As you read my 'virtual' conversation with Paula, you will note I used similar questions as last month.  This is to underline the common experience we all share in this crazy sport.  I hope you enjoy getting to know Paula.  My comments are in italics.

TDN:  What brought you to the sport of triathlon?


Paula:  I started swimming with the Edmonton Keyano Swim Club at age 11, and joined the Edmonton Thunder track club in high school after having some success at local running races. I was coached by Glen Playfair on the track, who was also a triathlon coach, so he encouraged me to get a bike and try a triathlon. My first race was in 2006 at the University of Alberta sprint triathlon (pictured above with Mom, Dad and brother Colin), and I qualified for Junior Worlds my first year. Having this early success encouraged me to stick with the sport.


TDN:  Which, of the three disciplines, would you consider your strength?

Paula:  Although I started as a swimmer, I would consider running my strength. It comes the most naturally to me and it's usually where the race is won.




TDN:  What is your routine when you are training (mileage, frequency and intensity)?

Paula:  As we approach race season the intensity and volume of our training goes up significantly. A typical week will have 6 swims between 5-6km, 5 rides and 5 runs. Some of these are quality workouts and others are used for recovery. We also do a lot of strength, core work and yoga to stay healthy and help with recovery. On average we are training 25-30 hours per week.


TDN:  What do you think about before the race?  And during the race?

Paula:  I get extremely nervous before big races, and sometimes question why I even do the sport! I know it's going to hurt and I put a lot of pressure on myself to do well. To get over my nerves I remind myself how hard I've worked and how great it feels to have a successful result. Ladies - that positive self-talk is so important!  Winning races makes it all worth it! When the race starts the nerves disappear and I'm thinking about what's going on around me and how my body is feeling. ITU racing requires 2 hours of complete mental focus and reacting to unpredictable situations, which makes it go by super fast.

TDN:  What was your favourite race so far?  Why?

Paula:  My favorite race is probably Madrid in 2011. (See the video:  Madrid ITU) came together perfectly for me, I had a great swim and was out of the water with the leaders, the bike felt awesome and I was able to win a few of the primes, and my run felt smooth and fast. It's one of the most challenging courses on the ITU circuit because of the heat and hilly bike course, but I really loved it and it suited my strengths well.


TDN:   What has been the high point of your triathlon career so far?  And the low point?

Paula:  The high point of my career was my win at the 2010 London World Championship Series race. (See the video:  London WCS 2010 ) was my first WCS win and was a huge shock to everyone, including myself. My low point would have to be the end of my 2011 season. Watching myself slide from #1 to #6 in the world  because of a hip injury was pretty devastating.


TDN:  What advice would you give a fellow 'sister' with big goals in triathlon?

Paula:  I've discovered over the few years that I've been racing at an elite level how important it is to take recovery days, and to stay on top of things like physio treatment, massage, stretching and yoga. These are things that I would often neglected when I was in school and was always short on time, but they are just as important as the tough workouts. Staying injury free is my priority this year, and these small details cannot be overlooked.


TDN:  What has been your biggest obstacle in achieving your selection to the Olympic team?  How did you overcome it?

Paula:  To be honest I didn't face any major obstacles with my selection to the Olympic team because I didn't think I even had a chance of making the team until late last season. I've wanted to compete in the Olympic games since I started the sport, however I thought that 2016 was a more realistic goal for me. I was never chasing points of trying to get a spot for 2012, things just came together surprisingly quickly and I'm very honoured and excited to be going to London in August.


TDN:  How do your celebrate your successes?

Paula:  In the doping control room! haha, I'm only partly kidding. In every single ITU race I've done I've been rushed off to doping control right after the awards, where it usually takes at least 2 hours for me to pee. I get super dehydrated when I race so I end up sitting in doping chugging litres of water with an upset belly. It's the worst! I usually get a chance to talk to my mom right after the race which is always nice. When I finally make it out, we'll usually go out for a team dinner before packing up and traveling home the next day. There's not much time to celebrate successes because the next race is always right around the corner. Although I do find it very motivating and easier to train hard after coming off a successful result.



Wow!  I can't decide what impresses me more: Paula's composure under pressure or the generous offer of her time for this interview.  Thank you Paula for a unique look into your tri-life.  I have included a last image of Paula with a few of her former swim buddies (sisters, of course!).  




Check out Paula on her blog at paulafindlay.blogspot.com or on twitter @paulafindlay

No comments:

Post a Comment