Monday 31 October 2011

Most Embarrassing Multi-sport Moment

We have all had them. . . .those times when you wish no one was watching.  Those embarrassing moments (yes plural!).  I have a had a few and I have been witness to a few.  I have had my chain yanked and I have to admit to yanking some chains myself.

Many years ago, I was at the Royal Victoria Marathon (I have to say that I must go crazy when I go to Victoria since I tend to have embarrassing moments in that city - see the October 13th post) and I was at the expo the day before the race.

As a side note, this race has one of the best pre-race expos ever.

I was waiting to pick up my race package when I was struck with the best practical joke!  In the beginning, the Royal Vic held only a full marathon so it was really only for the fully committed (I mean, crazy).  When I gave the gal my name, she immediately handed me my race pack.  I looked at and exclaimed, "Marathon!  I didn't sign up for the marathon.  I signed up to run the half!"  The expression on the race volunteer's face was priceless (think Mastercard commercial).  She tried to calm me down by trying to find the race director to see if I could just do half the marathon.

"I trained for the half. . . .I don't know what to do!!" I cried.  Then, in a moment of brilliance, I said, "Oh what the hell, I just run the full."

"Are you sure?", she said.  "Why not?  Live for today!", I said as I walked away.  I don't know if that women ever recovered.  Hilarious!!

I did the same thing at a triathlon when I was racing as a team with my daughter.  She swam and I was the other two thirds doing the ride and run.  As with most triathlon, transition was like the kitchen at a party - the place to be!  My daughter handed off to me and I rode like I had stolen something.  As I came in to transition, I racked my bike and looked around.. . . I said in a panicked voice,

"Where is my runner?  Seriously, Where is my runner?"  The spectators got into it right away by yelling for my runner "Hey, this gal needs her runner.  Does anyone know where she is?"

Now having a flare for the dramatic, I exclaimed, "Oh what the hell, I'll just have run it myself".  I threw my runners on and started running. . .  I immediately got a round of applause. "Wow, she is amazing!" could be heard murmuring through the crowd until one volunteer looked up, recognized me (damn) and said, "Oh come on, it's just Mad Norma"

Been known as Mad Norma ever since :)

No comments:

Post a Comment