Wednesday 12 October 2011

More Questions. . .More Answers

Hello Divas!

The question is "How do I afford to do this sport?"  An excellent question because let's face it; most of us are not earning our living by racing!  I remember when one of my good (fast) tri-buddies won some money.  I asked, "What did you do with the winnings?".  The big haul barely covered her gas to get to the race!!!

If you are completely new to the sport, there are lots of ways to be frugal.  First of all, most people come to tri being somewhat accomplished in one of the three sports.  If so, this means you already have stuff for that sport. (Yeeha!)  Let's look at each sport to see where we can cut costs:

Swimming:  The required equipment include goggles, swim cap, training suit.  Most pools supply pull buoys, flutter boards, and fins.  As for racing, you may need a wetsuit.  This can be a bit pricey so ask around, maybe you can borrow one.  Also, this is an item you can rent from local try stores.  You should be able to get one for $50 to $75

Cycling:  Ok this is the one that can really kill any budget.  For the first few seasons, consider borrowing a bike or using your mountain bike (if you have one).  I borrowed one for my first race because I wasn't sure if I was going to like the sport. (I was hooked from the get-go).  It doesn't matter what your bike looks like as long you are out there doing it.  I remember doing a ladies' only sprint many years ago and going up a big hill, I passed this amazing women on a bike with a basket (yes, a basket).  She had this massive smile on her face and she did not care what she looked like!

When it is time to purchase, consider the following:
1.  Fit, Fit, Fit. . . . The bike has to fit you otherwise you won't ride/train.  Go to a respectable bike store and take a buddy (preferably someone who rides or does tri)
2.  Decide on a budget and stick to it.  My first bike cost $500 and it was on consignment at a local store.  I still love that bike (electric blue TREK).  I used it for three seasons!
3.  Ask around, in the swim lanes, at local races. . . . someone is always selling.  Best time to buy is January/February so check Kijiji or eBay or Craig's list.
4.  If and when you decide to buy a new bike, be sure to get free stuff:  helmet, gloves, water bottles, bike computer, etc.  They will throw it just to make the sale!

Running: The required equipment here include runners (uh duh!), shorts, decent jog bra and tee's.  Be sure to spend the money on great shoes (same logic as the bike. . . .if they are not comfy, you won't train).  Go to a reputable running store that employs people who actually run!

Racing:  This is a category because you will probably wear something different for the race.  For pool swims, use your regular suit, throw on some cycling shorts for the ride and run.  I would wear a bra under the suit if you need the support (literally!).  The other cost to factor in is the entry fee.  A bit of  touchy topic. . . .to cut costs, consider racing in a team.  I did a few races with my daughter (so awesome!)  and I only did the ride and run.  Teams are also a great way to ease into the sport and soak up the culture of Tri without doing the whole thing.

I don't claim to be a budget diva but I hope you get a few ideas from this answer.  Don't forget to add your suggestions to the blog.

Please keep sending your questions.  I will respond next Tuesday or Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment