Thursday 13 October 2011

We are just like the Pro's

One thing that always amazes me about this wacky sport of triathlon is the commonality of experience.  In most sports, the mortals and the pro's just don't mix.  The fact is that professional triathletes are the most accessible group of 'superstars'.  I have had the privilege/luck to rub shoulders with various "biggies".

Many years ago, I was in Victoria to run the marathon (I think it was 2002 or around then) and my crazy running buddy and I had nothing to do the day before the race.  I mean, really, there is nothing to do the day before the marathon besides hydrate and obsess!

We decided to go to Beacon Hill Park to watch a cross-country race with the U of A against UVic.  Now, if you have never been to a varsity Xcountry race, you have not yet seen the true grassroots of running.  We arrived just in time to see the runners huddle up for the team cheer.  It was the first time I realized that all these guys look like 12 year old boys.  I have a tridiva buddy that calls them the 'rib boys'. . . Love it!!

There were two groups of guys (UVic and U of A, I guess) and then this lone runner off by himself.  We look over and screamed like 14 year old groupies. . . .It was Simon Whitfield.  For a bit of context, he had just won the inaugural olympic triathlon in Sydney and was recovering from a terrible crash where he broke his collarbone and both wrists.  We (my crazy tridiva friend and I) were enamoured from the get go.

The race starts and after the first loop, we are yelling, "Go Simon. . .go go go Simon"  He ends up third, incredible.  We rushed over to talk to him (ok we gave him a few minutes to recover) and because I am a mother first, I wanted to know how he was healing, was he ok, is he taking care of himself.  He was super cool and friendly, he asked why we were in town and if we were ready for the marathon.  I don't know many pro athletes that take the time to query their fans about their upcoming races!!!  He signed my marathon shirt (which I still have) and we walked away, dreamily.  If you want to catch up with him, I just saw a great uTube video on "a day in the life of Simon".  Check it out in the link section of the the blog.

As I write this, I can think of more "chance" encounters with these amazing athletes.  I usually say something either inappropriate or goofy.  I remember meeting Heather Fuhr (one of my absolute favorites) at our local pool.  It was in the showers no less and as I stood there gushing to try to figure out what to say. .. . .I heard myself utter, "You look so much taller on TV".  Seriously!?!?!?!!  She was also really cool and signed a tri magazine I had in my locker (go figure!) which I still have.  I pull out that autograph regularly when I need an extra push or inspiration.

She wrote, "To Norma. . .Keep on Triing from Heather"

I guess I will :)

No comments:

Post a Comment