Wednesday 19 October 2011

Let's Talk Fashion. . . .

You knew we would eventually get here. . . right?  A primarily female blog that doesn't discuss fashion. . no way!  Now, we are not talking Dior or Chanel (who knows. . . a girl can hope) but more like Zoot, Adidas and She Beast.  It can seem a bit overwhelming what to wear for training and racing but what better way to waste an afternoon than shopping and trying stuff on.

I will be doing some product reviews in future posts but for now I simply wanted to answer the age old question, "What should I wear?"  The barometer for this has to be comfort.  If what you train and race in is not comfortable, guess what. . .you won't race or train!  Most of us can figure out what to wear while we are training.  I usually look around the swim lanes or on the track to decide what is 'in' at any particular time.  A more difficult question is what do I race in.  


What I usually race in is a one piece tri-suit.  I am kind of weird when it comes to racing stuff as I only use my racing stuff for racing (looks odd when I see it writing).  I like to 'save' this part of my wardrobe for the big day because I just feel faster!  This is especially true for footwear.  A few years ago, I got racing flats.  It seemed silly at the time as I was pulling down 9 minute miles (stop chuckling!) so I didn't think I deserved flats since I wasn't technically 'fast'.  After my first race in them, I realized the reason to wear them is purely psychological.  I just felt 'faster'. Oh and the other reason to have flashing footwear was all the cheering I got on the race course:  "Nice foot candy!"  "Sweet shoes!"

My suggestion for you newbies is get out there and try on some gear.  It should be a bit snug since the water (from the swim) and general moisture will make the item relax a bit (think bathing suit).  Go to a reputable shop and find a female salesperson (ok a bit sexist but I want an honest opinion) or better yet take some buddies and make an event out of it.

That's it for today. . . please send questions, comments or posts. . . cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment