Monday 12 December 2011

Potential

Happy Monday,

Potential. . . .the catch-all phrase thrown around by athletes, coaches, teachers and parents.  It is used in many forms:

Reaching your potential
Achieving your potential
Knowing your potential
See your potential

It can be a vicious cycle of self abuse.  Did I do my best?  Am I peaking at the right time?  I had a coach say to me once, "an athlete can't know his/her potential"  Great. . . .How will I know when I have reached my potential when I can't know it?  The truth is others can see our potential so we are almost obligated to get feedback from outside ourselves. . . a coach, a mentor, a training partner, a sister.

Wouldn't it be great if we could support each other in reaching our potential rather than tearing each other down or competing with one another?  (See - Mean Girls post in October)  Wouldn't it be great if we held each other accountable and, more importantly, able?

I found this great quote from Goethe and I challenge you readers to get out there today and see the potential in others.

If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that

No comments:

Post a Comment