Monday 5 December 2011

Boiling Frogs, Falling Trees and Aware Divas

Good Morning Readers!

Another Monday. . . another chance to get going on whatever goals we are moving towards.  Can you feel them? . . . . the cobwebs . . .they creep in slowly.   Almost like the frog slowly heating up in the boiling pot of water (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog).

Small changes can work for us or against us.  If we make tiny, almost imperceptible, alterations in our diet or exercise, we can make serious movement towards huge change.  I remember adding incline to my treadmill workouts and although, the first three weeks weren't fun, I know that the transition to outdoor running in the spring was sooooo much easier.

How do small changes work against us?  Like the frog, we almost don't notice when we choose bad habits or the easier way.  Not to get too philosophical but are you giving up on yourself (even just a little)?  Just for this week, take stock, look at all the routine things you do:  cream in the coffee, parking spot at work, spinning class at the gym, masters' swim workout.  When given the option (more challenging, healthier, more fun), what do you do?  Most of the time, no one notices!  It is like the tree in the forest that no one hears when it falls.  The frog doesn't know it is about to boil to death.  He thinks he is in a comfy hot tub!

Now, this is not a guilt blog.  I am too experienced (ok. . . .old!) to beat myself up with guilt but I also know that awareness tends to be the best motivator.  Once I am aware of my choices, I tend to re-evaluate and, more importantly, re-choose.

So get out there, take inventory and report back!

No comments:

Post a Comment