Monday 19 December 2011

Drop In Programs: Fun and Flexible

Happy Monday Divas,

As promised, this is my first review of local training opportunities.  Drop-in workouts can be a great addition or substitute to your regular training regime.  I appreciate this time of year when my master's swim training group takes a hiatus in order to attend a swim drop-in program that occurs at my pool.

I waited poolside to know where to hop in.  It is important not to rock the boat too much when you first join a group.  Let's face it multi-sport enthusiasts tend to be very routine dependant and any change to that can be upsetting.  The last thing I want to do is make my lane mates resentful because they may put a serious hurt on me later in the workout.

The instructor showed up and told me where to go in a friendly jovial manner.  My new training buddies were chatty and fun.  Never under estimate the benefit of meeting new people and the benefit of mutual suffering.  Today's workout was both challenging and low key.  For me, it was challenging because it had only freestyle where I normally swim all strokes but it was low key as the pace was attainable (probably because I was guided into the appropriate lane for my ability).

Here is what we did:

800 m Choice warm up


200 m Kick


2 or 3 sets of
      200 m Pull with 20 seconds rest
      3 x 100 m swim with 15 seconds rest (descending 1 - 3)


400 m swim with fins


2900 m total


When choosing a drop-in program, I have a few recommendations:

1.  Check out the instructor (no . . .  not like that!) to identify his/her qualifications and experience.

2.  Ask yourself:  "Do I like this group?"  Keep in mind you may be spending a lot of time together so if someone drives you nuts from the get-go, move on.

3.  Is the class conveniently located?  If it is not on the way to or from work or in your neighbourhood, you may be less likely to "drop-in".

4.  Make sure the workout improves your performance whether it is speed or technique.  As multi-sport gals, we certainly don't want to waste our time.

Finally, try lots of classes so you learn what you like or dislike.  I will be reporting on other workout sessions in the near future so please send me a note if you have any suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment