Monday 14 November 2011

Reasons to train in the off season

Welcome to Monday,

How did a whole week go by!

More importantly, where did that white stuff come from?  For those of you lucky enough to live where the snow doesn't fly, this may be a foreign concept.  If you have not figured it out, it snowed over the weekend!!!

As a multi-sport clan, we immediately think about how this will affect our training.  Will I run long inside or out?  Where are all my winter training clothes?  Should I take a break?  Should I ramp it up?  Today, I wanted to address more important questions (or answers depending on how you look at it).  What will my training look like this winter?  Is it really worthwhile to train in the off-season?

Let's look at the top 5 reasons to train in the off season:

5.  Cycling all winter will definitely help your tri racing next year.  I could not believe how much more comfortable I felt in the spring when I cycled all winter.  Find a spinning class and/or a triathlon cycling class.  If you don't like the crowds, hunker down, buy some DVDs and get after it.  Future posts will have some of my favourite workouts that will get your sweat on.

4.  Working on your weakness is one of the best ways to stay motivated in the off time.  Of course, for me #5 and #4 are the same.  Most tri-gals I know, like to swim more as this is their weak spot.  Again, research some swim groups.  One year, I added a swim workout each week (4 total) and what a difference!!!!  I no longer looked like I was drowning and could almost keep up to my 11 year daughter.  I finally started to 'feel' the water rather than just flailing.

3.  Signing up for a "winter race" will definitely kick your butt.  Many larger centres have aquathons (swim/run).  You can't have any expectations for these off season races, just get in there and have fun.  Find a buddy (a sister!) and do them together.

2.  Try something new . . . . new sport, new exercises in the gym, new workout gear.  When I added yoga into my week of training, I felt so much better.  I don't know if it was the extra stretching or the nap at the end but I love it and get to my mat at least twice a week.

AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON TO TRAIN IN THE OFF SEASON IS . . . .


What the heck else are you going to do?  Let's face it, multi-sport training is a lifestyle choice.  I have taken breaks and when I do return to swimming, riding or running, I always realize how much better I feel when I am moving.....

So Keep Moving. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment