Monday 7 November 2011

Another Woman I admire

Welcome to Monday,

When I first started this blog, I mentioned a great woman who, at the time, received the Order of Canada.  It had to be one of the most public acknowledgements of a life spent volunteering, contributing and being just basically being Diva-esque! (see September 15)

Today, I want to let you know about another amazing gal among us.  I am not sure if you are in the loop but the Canadian Olympic Committee has pre-selected two athletes for the 2012 London games.  To back track a bit, it is important to note how difficult it is to make the team as a triathlete.  Those countries in the International Triathlon Union can send up to two athletes by gender (2 men and 2 women).  Crazy odds!  As a result of our past performances at the Olympic level (thanks, Simon!), Canada is entitled to 3 spots per gender.  Both Simon Whitfield and Paula Findlay have been nominated to represent Canada at the games. . . . .even as I write it, I get a chill.

Now,  Simon will bring incredible experience and depth to the team so huge kudos to him but I want to dedicate the rest of my time with you to Paula.

I was saying to my family over the weekend, "How cool is this?  I actually know her!"  And by her, I mean Sheila Findlay who is, I am proud to say, one of my posse.  Sheila is the selfless Mom and CEO of her Findlay brood.  I am sure we find her picture beside "supportive" in the dictionary.  Anyone who knows Sheila can attest that she is totally there for her kids.  When one of your kids is so athletically gifted, it would be easy to put all your parenting eggs in that basket.  Not so with Sheila!  All her kids are fantastic in their own way and Sheila makes each one of them feel special and unique.

Now, as parents, we claim to do that but Sheila is actually good at it!

She is also a kick-a## athlete in her own right.  She was a national level rower, varsity runner and swimmer.  She has medalled as a member of the national age-group teamat Triathlon World Championships.  If I asked her what she is most proud of, I can guarantee you it will be something about her husband or her kids.

I know that Paula really appreciates the support she gets from Sheila, Max and her siblings and Sheila would be the first to shy away from any kind of public acknowledgement of her contribution (think Order of Canada).  I also know as a mother/supporter of an athlete that whenever I get some gratitude, I am buoyed up by it.

So I ask you, readers, who is supporting you?

Have you thanked them lately?

Take a moment, call them, email them or even just send out positive intentions.  You will be better for it.

Congratulations Paula.  We, all the divas, are so proud of you!

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment